The sediment has a profound influence on water quality in reservoirs. Heterogenic distribution of sediments results in spatial variability of reservoir internal nutrient cycling and methane production. We want to investigate the link between spatial heterogeneity of sediment properties and greenhouse gases (CH4, CO2) in a reservoir.
In a survey, a large number of sediment samples shall be taken from Rappbode Reservoir and analyzed for heavy metals, nutrients and organic matter content. Work comprises a 1-2 day sampling campaign on the reservoir, subsampling sediment cores, analysis of water content and loss on ignition. The results will be fed into QGIS. The final result are reservoir wide maps of different sediment properties.
- We are looking for a motivated student of geo-ecology, limnology or similar. You should be intersted both in field- and lab-work as well as data evaluation. GIS knowledge is helpful
- You will be integrated into interdisciplinary research activities within the Department Lake Research at Magdeburg. Please contact us for further details. The timing of the study is flexible - applications are accepted any time.
- Great insights into the work in a leading research institute
- Individual supervision with the possibility to contribute your own ideas
- an own topic to work on independently
- work in international teams in a well-equipped laboratory